Wednesday, September 5, 2007

New and, so far, Good Music!

Yesterday I made a pilgrimage to the Christian music store, which is always hit or miss. O.K., it's usually a miss. Yesterday, however, was different! Israel and New Breed dropped a new album yesterday, Live from a Deeper Level, which I had to pick up! We do a ton of his stuff at Travis Park and so whenever he comes out with something new it's more a matter of responsibility for me to get it!!!
What makes his latest project so potentially impactful for me, however, is that it's a justice themed album! One of the biggest challenges I face at TPUMC is finding music that grooves, that's singable, and that matches up theologically with what our preachers (myself included) preach. The last point, of matching musical texts with the themes is pretty difficult. There's lots of social justice themed music out there but it's usually of the 60's folk genere (1960's, naturally) and our second service does primarily contemporary gospel. A fun challenge, but a challenge none-the-less.
All in all, I'm hopeful for this album to yeild useful fruit for TPUMC. I only had the chance to check out two cuts last night so we'll see what it has to offer soon!
I did experince a nice suprise at the Christian music store yesterday: a new Cademon's Call album that has Derek Webb reunited with his old bandmates! I've been out of that scene for a while but I really love Webb's current direction and focus so I'm looking forward to checking that out as well!
Love the first Tuesday of the month! Next Tuesday, kanye's new album comes out, so that will be interesting for sure (probably not as useful for church!).

No comments: