Monday, October 6, 2008

October's always make me sleepy

I love October! When else in the year do you have the baseball playoffs, the NFL, basketball training camps, and the opening of hockey season? Nowhere, I tell you! I love all of those sports and follow hockey and the NFL the closest but baseball is my first love. I will never forget my first professional game. My dad took me to see the Denver Zephyers (now they are known as the New Orleans Zephyers) in Mile High Stadium. It was such a blast!
Nothing, however, could compare to my first major league game! My dad (there is a trend here) took me to Fenway Park in Boston to see the Red Sox: it was incredible! Seeing that oasis of green in the middle of the city was like looking into heaven for a second-grader! The whole experience was incredible, from the walk up Yawkey Way, to the Fenway Franks, the Monster, and of course, the Red Sox. i have been a Sox fan ever since! It was a bad team to follow for many years! They always found a way to break your heart. The Bill Buckner fiasco was the first big one that I remember. But, my, how things change!
And so, it's October again, the leaves are just starting to turn and, by Texas standards, it's beginning to cool off. The Sox are doing very well. They had a chance to close out the Angels last night but couldn't get it done. Tonight, they've got another chance. I look forward to another game tonight and all that comes with post-season baseball: lots of drama and little sleep!
Go Sox!

No comments: