Friday, September 29, 2006

Trying to observe Sabbath

It is amazing to me how much effect culture has on habits. It's been some time since I tried to observe a sabbath. Life has gotten extra hectic and stressful over the course of the past two months and thus, I came to the conclusion last week that if I didn't re-ignite my prayer life and start observing a sabbath than I simply wasn't going to make it. Since I work all day at the church on Sunday, I decided that I would observe sabbath on Friday's. (Of course next week I'll be traveling over Friday, so we'll see how that works out!)

Over the summer I had gotten into the habit of observing the sabbath once a week and had gotten 'good' at it, meaning that I was able to enter into it fully and be relatively distraction free.

Today, however, I'm struggling! I keep trying to do local church and conference work and I know I need to stop that and rest but I am seriously struggling!

Clearly, I have been conditioned to worship the idol of busyness! I wonder if the best way to fight this conditioning is to 're-condition' by just continuing to be faithful and grind it out every week until I get back in the groove? This strikes me as a sort of Weslyan 'fake it till you make it' way of going about it. (With that last sentence I think I have clearly shaken off all of my seminary education! Sorry, Perkins!)

No comments: