Monday, October 12, 2009

A Poem by Thom M. Sherman that Gets to the Heart of the Matter

I am so excited! Today I am headed to the U2 concert at the new Cowboys Stadium. I have never had the opportunity to see them live before but I'm told it's like going to church! This morning I received a copy of this poem from a devotional email series that I receive from The Fellowship of United Methodists in Music and Worship Arts. I think the timing is appropriate.

where you sit

we leave our box seats
at the symphony or ball park,
and pray you won’t catch our eye
as we pass you
sitting with the homeless;

we wait for a few minutes
at the doctor’s office
to get a $10 shot
so we won’t catch the flu,
while half a world away
you sit for a week
hoping medicine
which will cost you a year’s wages
finds its way to your village;

we sit in our home theaters,
watching the latest “reality”
on our plasma screens,
while you sit in the darkness,
rocking your child asleep,
as she cries from the ache
of an empty stomach.

Lord Jesus;
When
(like James and John)
we want to be at your side in glory:
remind us where you sit.

Amen

©2006 Thom M. Sherman
www.prayersfortoday.blogspot.com

2 comments:

Sarah Roberts said...

Very Appropriate!

They have installed a completely new sound system. I can't wait to hear about it. Im sure Ill be able to hear it form my apartment. And feel the traffic. I wont be there, but its nice to know Ill be eating dinner as the same place as Bono and The Edge tonight. Hope you write a Blog about it!

Joe Stobaugh said...

Hi Sarah!
It was a great show, once we got out of the seats we payed for and into the standing room area in the endzone. The acoustics up at the top of the stadium were AWFUL!!!! They, improved, however, once we got down to the standing room section. U2 was amazing!
I hope you got your free Stars tickets, by the way!