Sunday, May 20, 2007

4/22/07 9:00 Worship Service

Travis Park UMC-Sunday Morning Worship
Sunday, April 22nd, 2007
Third Sunday of Easter
9:00 a.m.

PRELUDE: Brethren, We Have Met for Worship Joyful Melodies
Jackie Shepherd, conductor; Lana Cartlidge Potts, piano

CALL TO WORSHIP*
Leader: O God, in the midst of all that life throws at us, we remember your goodness and your
solidarity with us.
People: We worship you, O God of the hurt, of the lost, the abandoned, the well, the
found, the whole.
Leader: Yahweh, you are the I AM, mysterious, yet good.
People: We worship you, O God, we seek to follow you, to commit to you, and to
look for your light in the darkness.
All: Let us raise our voices to God.
--Rev. Joe Stobaugh

OPENING HYMN* No. 381 Savior, Like a Shepherd Lead Us ALL

A PRAYER IN THE FACE OF A RAMPAGE SHOOTINGLeader: The bullets ripped their flesh, and tear our souls, Lord God. Flashing from nowhere, unseen, unforeseen, perhaps unforeseeable, lives of promise ended, others mangled by hot steel and the shrapnel lodged in hearts too stunned to cry.People: How long, O Lord? How long?Leader: And for the shooter, Lord,People: Forgive.Leader: What break in heart, or mind, or flesh moved, possessed, demanded himto stalk these down like prey? We cringe, paralyzed before the mystery of evil.We open our mouths, and join the silence of the disbelieving.
Hear us, Lord.(Silence)Heal us, Lord.(Silence)Leader: Grant them,People: and us, your peace. Amen.
By Taylor Burton-Edwards

MESSAGE “Extravegent Generosity” Acts 20:32-35 Rev. John Flowers

TURNING IN OF COMMITMENT CARDS

MUSIC DURING THE RITUAL: Emily Watkins, viola

TITHES AND OFFERINGS: Here I Am, Lord
Words: Dan Schutte; Music: Trad. Shaker Hymn, arr. John Ferguson
Sanctuary Choir; Lana Cartlidge Potts, accompanist; Jackie Shepherd, conductor
I the Lord of sea and sky, I have heard my people cry.
All who dwell in dark and sin my hand will save.
I, who made the stars of night, I will make their darkness bright.
Who will bear my light to them? Whom shall I send?

Here I am, Lord. Is it I, Lord? I have heard you calling in the night.
I will go, Lord, if you lead me. I will hold your people in my heart.
I, the Lord of snow and rain, I have born my people’s pain.
I have wept for love of them. They turn away.
I will break their hearts of stone, give them hearts for love alone.
I will speak my word to them. Whom shall I send?

I, the Lord of wind and flame, I will tend the poor and lame,
I will set a feast for them. My hand will save.
Finest bread I will provide till their hearts be satisfied.
I will give my life to them. Whom shall I send?

(Please register your attendance in the red registration books.)

*DOXOLOGY (can be found printed on the back page of The Faith We Sing)

SERVICE OF HOLY COMMUNION
Leader: The Spirit of God be with you.
People: And also with you.
Leader: Lift up your hearts to heaven
People: where Christ in glory reigns.
Leader: It is right, and a good and joyous prayer, always and everywhere to give you thanks. For
in the beginning, Creator God, You made the earth; round, rich, and fertile, the mother of all life, the seedbed of all growth.
People: You bent low and gently gathered up a handful of clay and shaped and
wonderfully and intricately made man and woman.
Leader: You breathed wind and spirit into flesh and bone.
People: We became like you, formed in your image carrying the stars in our eyes,
the moon in our hearts and the cosmos in every breath.
Leader: And, so with all the saints who have gone before, all the creatures of the earth, and all the
faithful touched by the Spirit, we praise your name and join the unending hymn of praise:
--from Water Words by Larry Peacock

SANCTUS #2257-b in The Faith We Sing ALL

WORDS OF INSTITUTION AND CONSECRATION
Leader: Pour out your Holy Spirit on us gathered here and on these gifts of bread and wine.
Make them become for us the presence of Christ, so that we may be signs of new life for our searching world. By your Spirit make us one with Christ, one with all creation and one in service to all the world until Christ comes in radiant glory and seats all at the heavenly table.
All: Eternal Spirit, Earth-maker, Pain-bearer, Life-giver,
Source of all that is and that shall be, Father and Mother of us all, living God, in whom is heaven:
The hallowing of your name echo through the universe!
The way of your justice be followed by the people of the world!
Your heavenly will be done by all created beings!
Your commonwealth of peace and freedom sustain our hope and come on earth.
With the bread we need for today, feed us.
In the hurts we absorb from one another, forgive us.
In times of temptation and test, strengthen us.
From trials too great to endure, spare us.
From the grip of all that is evil, free us.
For you reign in the glory of the power that is love, now and forever.
Amen.
--from A New Zealand Prayer Book

DISTRIBUTION OF THE ELEMENTS

COMMUNION MUSIC: Emily Watkins, viola

HYMN OF INVITATION* No. 2130 The Summons st. 1,4,5 ALL

BENEDICTION/POSTLUDE: Lana Cartlidge Potts

No comments: