Thursday, January 10, 2008

The Baby's Keep Coming

Because I'm a pastor I tend to keep my cell phone on at night and have lately gotten in the habit of using my phones alarm clock feature to wake me up in the morning. In fact, the only time I ever turn it off is on Thursday evenings when i try to take Friday as a Sabbath.
Well, I got a text at 4:51 this morning.
My good friend Derek McNatt, minister of music and worship at Christ UMC in the Woodlands, TX, is now a daddy! Andrew Charles McNatt entered this world at 4:14 a.m., weighing 7 lbs., 4 oz., and coming in at 20 inches long. Everybody is healthy. What a blessing!!!
I took the time this morning to give thanks to God for Andrew Charles and his parents, as well as my own wife and child, and all of the new children in the world (and those who are on the way).
It seems that this is a season rich in child-bearing for many. So many people in my life are pregnant! It is thrilling and awe-inspiring to think of the new life that is coming into the world.
On the flip-side, and there always is a flip-side in this paradoxical world we find ourselves in, my heart breaks for everyone who so desperately want to have children but are struggling to have them. I have a very close person in my life who is going through this and she and her husband are fostering three beautiful children right now. I am so proud of them, they are amazing parents and are doing wonderful things for the children they have! I know that the longing to have a biological child is still intense, however.
I thank God for folks like them, who are willing to step into the void and to love unconditionally: what a wonderful example for all of us! They are truly making a difference in the world!

No comments: