Thursday, January 17, 2008

One more example of the miracles of modern technology...

Let me first say that I lost faith in "progress" a few years ago and I certainly don't think that technology will save us but I think its pretty easy to make the claim that technology has made our lives better in a great many respects. What prompts this comment? In 2005 I had a "vasel-vagel" episode where I passed out and lost consciousness for a while. Long story short, I'm finally having my heart looked at in 2007-2008. So far, I've had several EKG's, a stress test, I'm wearing a holter monitor as I type today and this morning I had an echocardiagram. The echo was an incredible experience!!!! Wow! I was so struck by how incredible it really was to be looking at my heart as it was beating (and watching it while it was still inside me and not as a victim of human sacrifice!). I also found myself wondering about how some of the greatest thinkers in the history of humanity could have benefited from having access to this technology. What would a da Vinci been able to accomplish with this? A Salk?
I got to see my own heart beating today!
Seriously, think about that! That's incredible!

No comments: