Saturday, January 5, 2008

Children's Music MInistry Philosophy

Hello!
In the next few months I am starting a children's music ministry program in Argyle and have outlined this as my children's music ministry philosophy. What do you think? What have I missed?
I hope to hear from you!
Joe

Make a Joyful Noise to the Lord: Come into God’s Presence with Singing!
--Psalm 100

Philosophy of Children’s Music Ministry

When Jesus asked for the little children to come to him, he meant it! Since the beginning of the church, children have had an active role in worship. Many of the great masterworks of Western art music were composed to be sung with and by children. At Argyle United Methodist Church, we seek to teach our children how to lead in worship through music and liturgy. We believe that a vital part of this process involves helping the children to grow in their faith by singing the hymns, anthems, and songs of the church as a way of deepening their understanding and engagement with their Creator. It is vital that the children understand both the words they sing and the musical language used to communicate them. Therefore we will create an environment that allows for both spiritual and musical expression and education. We desire to enable the church’s children in such a way that their worship participation is their best offering to God.

Goals for Children’s Music Ministry

1. Teach hymns, anthems, and songs of the church.
2. Teach about worship and participate in worship leadership.
3. Educate and develop musical skills.
4. Nurture growth through Christian education.
5. Instill an attitude of service, outreach, and commitment.
6. Provide social activities for fellowship for the purpose of creating community.

1 comment:

Scottie said...

Hello Joe,

Well, here's my two cents on the Philosophy - subtitled "Why We Do What We Do!"

First - you've said some wonderful things already.
I think, for me, one of the biggest reasons is to give the children something to hold on to for the future. And not just their future, but the church's future. I want them to feel comfortable in church with the hymns and liturgy not just as kids, but as grownups when there parents aren't there to cart them to church. I want them to be FULL participants in worship (doers, not just hearers!). I want them to feel comfortable saying "yes, I'll sing in the choir."

Second, I want them to have something to hold onto when life throws 'em a curve ball, to be able to reach into their bag of tricks and remember the words to a hymn or an anthem and find comfort and strength. Oh, how much scripture I have learned within those bar lines!

Ooooh, this has gotten reeellly long. Sorry. And I could go on...

Of course, the other thing you need to do is send the little dears to NTC Choir Camp! June 10-14, 2008. www.bridgeportcamp.com
Oh, and you should come tooooo!

Sorry for the epistle. Ya know, you just want to look and parents and say 'Cause it's important, darn it! So, bring your kid to choir!" However, that short and not-so-sweet approach tends to turn people off. I can't imagine why... sigh....

I can't wait to hear how this ministry grows. Keep me posted and let me know if you need anything.

Give my best to your family.
Take care,
Scottie

p.s. love the blog! got the info from Tim.