Monday, August 4, 2008

A moment of potentially horrible irony...

In addition to spending some quality time with my family I am also leading the music for a revival in Royse City, Texas this week. The preacher, the excellent John McLarty of Faith UMC, Corinth, Texas, asked for tonight's "Song of Reflection" to be John Mayer's "Say." I'm a big John Mayer fan so I wanted to learn the song any way! The first time I heard it I was positive that the opening lick was on a ukulele but I had managed to convince myself yesterday that it might actually be a guitar. Well, a little bit of research later, it turns out my initial impression was correct, well, almost, anyway. I tried to replicate it on my ukulele but quickly discovered it's a six-string ukulele (mine's a four) that's playing the intro! So much for playing it on my little uke!

Anyway (sorry about chasing that rabbit) the song "Say" was written by John Mayer for the lovely film, "The Bucket List." As I'm working on the tune, my mother-in-law informs me that Morgan Freeman (star, along with Jack Nicholson, in "The Bucket List" which is all about living life to the fullest) has been in a terrible car accident and is in the hospital in Memphis.

Life is fleeting: it is wise to celebrate our common lives together, and God's creation, while we are here together, eh?

No comments: