Tuesday, August 19, 2008

N.T. Wright, a twist on an ancient spiritual discipline, and other random thoughts...

Yup, it's been a while! I hope all is well!
Here comes another James Joyce-like post!

Stream-of-consciousness for Tuesday morning:

Being able to sleep last night for more than two hours (like I have the previous two nights) has been very invigorating!

A wonderful couple of church members brought by dinner for us a few nights ago and a pound of Ruta Maya coffee, which is nearly gone. It's so good! Makes me miss one of my favorite San Antonio hangs and all that came with it! (The SA Ruta Maya, at least the downtown location, is a converted "gentleman's bar." Wild atmosphere, great coffee, and free wifi!)

I am listening to "SMV" a new album featuring the three greatest living electric bassists: Stanley Clarke, Marcus Miller, and Victor Wooten. Lot's of chops!

It is raining and in the 80's outside: what a blessing for Texas in August!

I finished reading N.T. Wright's "Surprised by Hope" this morning and it is really a wonderful work of theology. Wright gives a beautiful account of the resurrection and how it should affect our daily lives and the mission of the church. I would highly recommend it!

A few days before Sam was born I read "The Shack." Who knew it would be a summer of borderline orthodox reading? I just started Wright's "Why Christianity Makes Sense" which is written for a non-academic, non-Christian audience, and it looks to be just as thought provoking. I am thankful for Marcus Borg for many things, one of them being an introduction to Wright!

Last night when I was rocking Sam at 2:45 I entered into a spiritual discipline that I haven't observed in a while: reciting the Eastern Orthodox "Jesus Prayer" with an orthodox prayer rope. It is a wonderful discipline to focus one's prayers. If you are interested in exploring this practice more, let me know and we can chat about it!

Well, back to the proverbial mines! Have a great rest of the day and may you experience God's grace in new ways today!

No comments: