Monday, April 27, 2009

Random thoughts for a Stormy Monday

So, I came into work early today to prepare for a worship meeting but between the rain, a window in my office, hot espresso and the daily office, I just have to stop down for give thanks for a refreshed soul. God has been incredibly faithful to me, especially during the times I have not deserved God's faith, love and grace. God has always, always been faithful and good to me. I have no words to express my thanks (hence, my thankfulness for the daily office today).

My gratefulness this morning has something to do with death. Of late, I feel like the powers and principalities are making a bigger push these days. (Perhaps that suggests that we are on the brink of something amazingly wonderful!) I have been struck by the fact that, until the latter half of the 20th century, the average human life ended somewhere in the the late twenties or early thirties. Now, the average world-wide life expectancy is 70 (except for most of Africa, which is much lower).

While I certainly wonder if I have accomplished much of value during my life, I am more and more thankful for the chance to have been alive this long, coupled with thoughts of what to do (and what to value) in the remaining years of my life. (May there be many!)

More and more I believe that loving and serving people, in as many ways as possible, is what we are really called to do with our lives. I want to do more than just pay lip-service to this for the rest of my life!

When we give ourselves away for others we gain our lives. When we love others we inch towards becoming what God dreams for us to become!

Well, I had better get to worship planning, that meeting is in two hours and I've only got sketches of where to go in my mind.
Perhaps the Holy Spirit will see fit to join me this morning as I prepare?

May you have a wonderful, God-drenched day!

1 comment:

SW said...

great post Joe, but remember we are always deserving of God's love and grace.....especially you my friend!! :) Natalie K