Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Holy Week

Wow, it's been a while since I posted! I keep having all of these great ideas to post about and then I realize that, by the time I'll get to posting them, they will no longer be relevant! I can't believe that Holy Week is next week. Life has been moving so quickly lately.
I am also excited that it's Holy Week. Every year I long to more deeply participate in all that Holy Week offers. In my current ministry context (much like all of the others I've served in) the preacher utilizes sermon series. His series are really good! Sadly, though, when we use sermon series and not the lectionary or much of the liturgical year, when we come to Advent, Christmas, Holy Week and Easter, to name the big ones, our congregations have no context for what's happening during those times. They can't expereince the depths of the litrugical year without the set-up. This makes me sad. As I was planning the Holy Week services (to be posted soon) I really found myself struggling with this issue: how do we suddenly go from a sermon series based service to a liturgical service. It's a pretty tough stretch in our context in many ways. I'll post the orders for Holy Week and a "regular" order so you can see what I mean. I look forward to your feedback. Well, off to a staff meeting!

No comments: