Thursday, March 6, 2008

The Snow and the Kingdom

As I look out of the office of my window I can see sleet pounding the side of the church. We are expected to get snow in a few hours here in the Denton area. Two snow events in four days, in March, in Texas...unbelievable. I'm a fan of snow but I feel for our brothers and sisters who need a place to stay tonight. May Your Kingdom come on earth as it is in Heaven, Jesus. I know the shelters will be full tonight.

Homeless is America is a sin. We have the resources to combat it and yet, we don't, systematically speaking. I think the reason is that most folks who are in a place of power don't know anyone who is homeless by name. They feel bad that there are people who will be trying not to freeze (literally) tonight but they don't know those people's names. It's a different thing when you know it's Mary who is looking for a warm place. It's a different thing when you know Ed doesn't have anything to eat tonight. It's a different thing when you recall Jesus' words in Matthew 25, and you realize that it's Jesus who doesn't have any place to lay his head or anything to eat. It's different then.

That division between the poor and the wealthy is perhaps one of the greatest tragides in the American church. We don't know each other. We are often separated by race, by economic standing, by political and theological perspectives. We don't know each other and it keeps the Kingdom from coming on earth and it is in heaven. Imagine if all of the Christians in the DFW area tonight were to bring a blanket or a meal to a shelter tonight? Imagine it! And then, what if, just what if, we all petitioned our lawmakers to help change things and we stayed on them, and made it a priority, and, while we did that, we kept bringing blankets, and food, and, more importantly, we got to know the people! Can you imagine how the face of our community would change!

You know, I meant to post about how much I am enjoying listening to Cannonball Adderley while working today and I am. But, now, I'm thinking I need to give the shelter in Denton a call and see what they need tonight, bring what I can, and make some new friends!

No comments: