Monday, April 14, 2008

General Conference

The 2008 General Conference of The United Methodist Church is nearly upon us. I could post on this forever, so I'm not sure where to start. I think this general conference and the next one will be historical conferences in the history of the Methodist movement. It is my hope and my prayer that this conference will show the world that it is entirely possible to treat people with whom one has substantial disagreements, with grace and love. Our delegates are facing many significant challenges and I am praying for the delegation from my conference and for the entire General Conference to be open to the Spirit and to treat one another with love, dignity, and respect.

As a member of the North Texas Conference of The United Methodist Church, I am supremely confident in the delegation that we are sending to Ft. Worth. We are blessed with incredible leadership in this conference and I look forward to seeing how God will work through them in the coming weeks. I was speaking with the chair of my Order today and through our conversation my hope was strengthened in the Church and it's ability to become a better semblance of what God intends for it to be.

Today we had a time apart with the Order of Deacons to fellowship and to pray for the Board of Ministry as it selects names to consider as chairpersons of the Orders of Clergy and to pray for General Conference. I was blessed to be able to serve as the song leader for our time of worship together. As I looked around the room at my fellow deacons, truly, my sisters and brothers in Christ, and when I saw them immersed in worship and singing songs to God about justice and about loving people, and about walking humbly with God, I felt the Spirit moving. I was reminded that God is actively at work all over God's Creation, and I remain humbled to serve in a part of God's Kingdom.

It was, our our lead delegate to General Conference, the Rev. Kathleen Baskin-Ball (truly a hero of mine) says, a "Glory Be" moment!

I am hopeful for the results of the work of this General Conference. I plan to attend several days of the conference (a few working on behalf of The Fellowship of United Methodists in Music and Worship Arts) and I will post some reflections on what I see.

May we continue to find ourselves chin-deep in God's good work!

No comments: