Monday, April 14, 2008

Spring is officially here!

It's official spring is here! When I was a boy I could always tell spring was here by two things:
1. The smell of fresh-cut grass
2. Opening day of baseball!

I remember my very first MLB game. I was in the second grade and my dad took me to Fenway Park in Boston to a day game. For those of you who know me well, you know it was love at first sight! So many memories come to mind when I think about that day: the festival atmosphere on Yawkey Way, the unreal emerald color of the grass (it felt like a sanctuary in the midst of the city) the smell, oh the smell! Popcorn, peanuts, beer and Fenway Franks! I mostly remember hanging out with my dad in great seats (six rows off of home plate, thanks Miller Brewing!). The Sox were playing, ironically enough, the Texas Rangers. Oil Can Boyd was the pitcher and I remember Pete Incavilia getting spiked on a play at home that day. What a great set of memories!

Now, I realize the offical beginning of spring when I expereince several other events:

1. Mowing my own yard (not as romantic as the smell of fresh cut grass, especially
considering my allergies!)

2. The arrival of the Stanley Cup playoffs! (Go Stars!)

3. Leaves and flowers (I was pretty much unaware of these things for the last decade or so.)

4. The Masters

5. And, of course, baseball!

The Masters Tournament wrapped up yesterday. Did you see it? I'm not sure what it is about the Masters and about the British Open, but I just can't tear myself away from the t.v.! In my next life, I'd like to be reincarnated as a professional golfer. (I don't actually believe in reincarnation, btw, but it's a fun idea to play with.)

The course at Augusta is always pristine (probably an environmentalists nightmare) and I'm still pretty bummed about women not being allowed to be members, but I find the history, the course, and the competition riviting.

One of my closest friends on earth has been at the last two tournaments and I love hearing his recounting of the event. Truly, it sounds like a magical place! Maybe one of these days...

2 comments:

Katanna said...

I have good news and I have bad news.

Good news: my favorite smell in the WORLD is fresh cut grass! We used to have five acres in the country, and when we mowed our yard (not all of the 5 acres, mind you) it smelled SO good! (but then came the chore of raking all of the mulch into bags... not so fun)

Bad news: our tastes in sports couldn't be more opposite. Baseball is as exciting as watching grass grow, golf IS watching grass grow, and hockey... just not my thing.

Matthew

Joe Stobaugh said...

I hear ya! Five acres is a lot to mow!!!
What spring sports do you like? I certainly watch the NBA and the NFL when it comes around. The great things to me about baseball are these: 1. the tradition 2. the strategy 3. the tension and release drama.
Last night, for example, the Red Sox were down 4 to 1 to Cleveland in the 7th. In the eigth they tied the game back up, which is fun in and of itself to watch. Finally, in the 9th inning, all tied up, with two outs and two strikes, Manny Ramieriz hits a two run home run! Then, they were able to keep the Indians off of the scoreboard in the bottom of the ninth. I love that!
The sport certainly doesn't move as fast as hockey (the fastest sport) or as basketball but it's a lot of fun for me, anyway! What sports are your favorites?
Take care!