Friday, June 13, 2008

A Mystical Thought for the Day...

I just finished my ritual internet surfing this morning and read on cnn.com about the flooding in Iowa...my prayers are with them. Feels like 1993 all over again, eh? I remember that year very well because I had to make a connection in St. Louis and the water from the rivers was lapping up on the edge of the runway.

Hmm....

Change in topic (that's me using the clutch to change gears in the conversation)

I have always been attracted to Christian Mysticism. (Much like a certain Methodist I have read, that Methodist being John Wesley.) This month I have been reading bits and pieces of the writings of Julian of Norwich, the 14-15 century English anchoress, an anchoress was a women who lived as a hermit in a cell attached to a church. Not much is known about Julian (if that is even her real name) other than her primary work, "The Showings." When Julian was 30 (in May, 1373) she received a series of visions from God. (Perhaps as a recently turned thirty-year-old who turned thirty in the month of May the numbers were just too strong to overcome!) Julian spent much of the rest of her life pondering these visions.

The visions are pretty amazing! I'd write more but Ellie is awake!

Here's a thought to ponder in the heart today from Julian:
"Nothing less than God can satisfy us."
--Julian of Norwich

No comments: