Monday, June 30, 2008

Two Exciting New Things!

This is going to read a bit materialistic (especially after my last post!) but I made two purchases today that I am very excited about, more because of their symbolism than anything else!

1. A new guitar! I never thought I would buy an Ibanez but this little number is a jewel! it's a classical guitar with pickups and is designed to be "plugged-in." Since nearly everything I do these days, from Taize, Iona, and all points in-between uses classical guitar I am thrilled to have a new partner in the creative process. I keep looking for excuses to play it! :) We are still getting to know one another but I have a feeling that we will be doing lots of good work together!
I've got two cantoring gigs coming up this month and next that will make excellent use of this instrument and its flexibility! I haven't bought a new guitar since my Marcus Miller bass seven years ago! Wow, it's been a while!!!!

2. A new stole! Last week at Lake Junaluska I met Phillip Cox Johnson, who is a renowned liturgical artist. He created a piece that I have and use from time to time as a covering cloth for communion. He is really an incredibly gifted artist: you can check out his work at

www.gospelcolors.com

He is creating a white deacon's stole for me that I will wear when I cantor the opening worship service for the South Central Jurisdictional Conference this month in Dallas and I will also wear it at funerals for clergy.

Fun stuff!

I've got to write my July church newsletter article now but I will post soon about my time on the road in North Carolina! Also, if you have a moment, I would covet your prayers as I am preaching this week and need some organizational help!

God bless you!

1 comment:

Katanna said...

And I thought that you were going to say that you got something cool like "I got a new iPhone!"

Matthew