Thursday, May 8, 2008

Things I No Longer Need in Life

One of my all-time t.v. favorite shows, "How I Met Your Mother" (which has been picked up for a fourth season, I hear) recently had an episode in which the protagonist, Ted, is about to turn thirty. Ted decides that, in preparation to turn thirty, he would get a box and go around his apartment cleaning out all of the things he will no longer need because he was beginning a new chapter in his life.

I turn thirty a week from this Saturday.

For some reason I haven't yet been able to put my finger on, this particular birthday feels important. Perhaps its because the last birthday I had that ended with a zero occurred I was in college. Perhaps its because my twenties will be over. (Sometimes I feel like I missed out on the stereotypical craziness that comes with being in one's twenties. I certainly don't mean to imply that I am a choir boy, though I suppose, technically I am, but most of my experience in life has consisted of going to school and then being a pastor.) Perhaps I'm a little freaked out because I always thought I would have accomplished more by the time I turned thirty.

Perhaps I'm just being silly. I totally get that thirty is, really, nothing when it comes to age. But, in a decade it will be forty. Two decades I'll be fifty (with the guarantee of half of my life being over).

It's interesting to mull over. I suppose, at the end of the day, the old saying holds true: don't take life too seriously because nobody get's out alive anyway!

And so, in honor of that, I decided that I needed to grab a spiritual "things I no longer need in my life" box and that I ought to try to throw some of the useless things in my life in it.

Here goes:

1. Being resentful/jealous
2. Being mean to others
3. Being prideful
4. Being too hard on myself

I could go on but, in the spirit of number four, I need to set attainable goals! :)
We'll see what happens!
Happy disposing!

No comments: