Monday, May 12, 2008

Welcome, Rev. Ryan Baer

I think God got a good laugh yesterday! And I think God also had a great big smile on God's face! Yesterday, one of my brothers, the great Ryan James Baer, was ordained a minister of word and sacrament in the Presbyterian Church! I am so proud of him! When God called him, he gave up his sweet corporate gig with the office in downtown Dallas, packed up the fam, and moved to Atlanta to pursue his calling full time.

Long story short, five years after responding to God's call on his life he was ordained yesterday afternoon at Woodhaven Presbyterian Church! I had the great privilege of serving as the Ecumenical Representative at his ordination service and cantoring the communion liturgy.

I know for both Ryan's family and mine, the sight of us standing behind the table with our robes and stoles on, presiding at the Lord's Table was quite a sight! You see, Ryan and I grew up at each other's houses, we met in the 7th grade. Ryan was the best man at my wedding and I at his. Ryan and Amy (his wife) are Ellie's godparents.

The fact that Ryan and I have, in many respects, traveled on this journey together is truly remarkable. Given some of the times we had, God's grace and humor is even more remarkable!!!!

To cantor with Ryan at the Table on the day of his ordination (not to mention being one of the pastors who laid hands on him for his ordination) will be a privilege and a memory that I will carry with me for the rest of my life.

Soon, Ryan moves down to West Palm Beach, FL, to pastor a church there. I know that God will continue to do great things through him!

No comments: