Sunday, February 10, 2008

The 50th Annual Grammy Awards

The Grammy's run hot and cold for me. Usually I only tune in if I remember that the show is on or if I am interested in an artist whose been nominated. This year, however, I'm interested. Maybe its because I'm about to turn thirty (and all that implies) but I've ben keeping up with pop music a bit more this year than in years past. For the first time in years I own sevearl of the albums that will be nominated for Album of the Year (Kanye West's "Graduation," Herbie Hancock's "River: The Joni Letters" and bits and pieces from iTunes of Amy Winehouse's "Back to Black."). Certainly I have my favorite in that category but the offerings are so different this year. I'll be pulling for Herbie Hancock but, baring that, I think Kanye's offering would be a good choice. Both albums are beautiful and innovative in their own ways. The musicianship and sensitivity on Hancock's album is absolutely beautiful and virtuosic and Kanye's album grooves so hard. This is a compelling category this year. Experience tells me that West is going to win but it would be wonderful if Hancock did!

So, just for fun, here are my predictions in the major categories (that I have interest in):
ALBUM OF THE YEAR
"Graduation" by Kanye West (but in my heart, I would love for Herbie Hancock to win.)
RECORD OF THE YEAR
"What Goes Around...Comes Around" Justin Timberlake (You hate to admit it but this groove is a guilty pleasure for you.)
SONG OF THE YEAR
"Hey There Delilah" Plain White T's (This is a tough category: it was impossible to escape any of these songs in 2007.)
BEST NEW ARTIST
Amy Winehouse (though Feist and Paramore could be contenders)
BEST FEMALE POP VOCAL PERFORMANCE
"Candyman" Christina Aguliera (Nelly Furtato and Winehouse will be in the running in a big way)
BEST MALE POP PERFORAMCE
"Belief" John Mayer (well, maybe I just hope he wins because he plays Fender guitars very well!)
BEST POP PERFORMANCE BY A DUO OR GROUP WITH VOCALS
O.K., I want U2 to win for "Window in the Skies"
BEST POP VOCAL ALBUM
"Back to Black" Amy Winehouse
BEST ROCK SONG
"Icky Thump" The White Stripes (maybe the purest rock song in the last few years).
BEST RAP SONG
"Can't Tell Me Nothing" Kanye West. (It's beautiful and the lyrics are surprisingly forth right!)
BEST RAP ALBUM
"Graduation" Kanye West (Though it will be more interesting to watch him if he doesn't win.)
BEST COUNTRY ALBUM
Did you hear that? That was the sound of me getting up to do something else during that segment (though Brad Paisley is a very good guitarist.)

We'll see, eh?

3 comments:

Doug said...

thanks for adding me to your blog-o-rama! Looking forward to sharing our journey.
Doug

Doug said...

oh ya..do you know of any places I might explore for a renewal leave I am planning...in the states or elsewhere!
Doug

Joe Stobaugh said...

Hey Doug!
Great question! Let me think for a bit and I'll get back to you! If you're looking to go abroad and want to spend a week in silence (or even not in silence) you could go to Taize!