Friday, February 15, 2008

A Conversation in a C-Store

After grabbing some breakfast for Sarah and I in Converse, I stopped into a convenience store to pick up some ice for our move (in the hopes that we could salvage some of our condiments). At the checkout I saw a magazine with Barack Obama on the cover. If you’ve read this blog in the last year or so, you’ve probably come across his name more than once. Needless to say, I am a big fan. (I’m blogging this on a flight to New York but we are changing planes in Chicago, home of said presidential candidate.)

The lady who was checking me out saw the magazine and asked, “Do you like him?” I should note that the lady was from the Middle East and was wearing the traditional Muslim garb for women. (Not a birkah but her head was covered.)

We struck up a five-minute conversation about him and the need to change politics in this country. Needless to say, there was no one else in line! She said that, for the very least, we need to change things for our children, and by ours, she meant the children of the world. She talked about how there was just no need for children to live in fear and was quite passionate about it. She is right. More to the point, she thought (as I do) that Obama is our best chance at beginning to move in a positive direction as a country. This woman was passionate about her politics and about her candidate, and I loved it!

No comments: