Monday, February 4, 2008

Fuel for the Worship Architect

While I'm waiting for Herbie Hancock's new album to download (curse you, slow internet connection!!!!) I thought I'd take a moment and relate an episode that has given me some fuel to keep working to create wonderful, meaningful worship services.

This past Saturday night I decided that I needed to get up thirty minutes earlier than normal to be able to spend some quiet time with God just listening, flat-out listening. Lately, I've been doing a lot of talking and I thought this would be a good way to begin to remedy the imbalance.

So I got up early, got ready for church, and then went to my local starbucks at 6:00 a.m. to get a cup of coffee and to pray. Now, keep in mind, it's Sunday morning and the current cultural context I find myself in kinda demands the suit and tie look on Sunday mornings. The barista takes one look at me and says, "you are so dressed up! what are you off to this early on a Sunday morning."

Right away, I know this conversation can take several turns.

I'm always up for telling folks what I do: telling people that you are a pastor usually engenders a response of some sort. Mostly I have positive encounters but I've had a few where the response feel more like accusations than anything else! I thought it would be fun to see what she'd say, so I told her that I was going to church.

Her response, I'm afraid, was symptomatic of how the majority of Americans view church worship services.

She said, "you need some caffeine to get through it!"

OUCH!!!!!!!!!! Seriously, ouch!!!!!

I couldn't resist, after she said that I said, "well I'm one of the pastors at the church, so I guess it starts with me!" Thankfully, she laughed, only a bit embarrassed!

Know what? She's probably right! I imagine that the majority of our worship services probably do take some caffeine to get through.

There's a great many reasons why this is so but I can't get into them at this moment (my new Herbie Hancock cd just finished downloading). I've only heard one track but I can hear why it's nominated for album of the year. Herbie is a GENIUS!!!!
Sorry, that's a different rabbit to chase.

Suffice to say, after my early morning encounter at Starbucks, I have been pretty motivated to not have to provide coffee for the worship services I plan just so people can get through the service.

Jeez...what a way to start out a Sunday!

No comments: