Saturday, February 2, 2008

Philosophy of Music Ministry

Yup, it's been another long hiatus since posting. The last two weeks have been wonderful: they have really reminded me of what God has called me to do, vocationally speaking, in a big way! I've had a chance to lead a choir retreat, preach twice, and just got done assisting in the administration of Holy Communion: what a great week! So, I got to thinking, I'm not sure if I've ever posted this before, but below you will find my most recent philosophy in a nutshell piece regarding music ministry. It's changed a bit over the last few years but I would love to get your take on it. What am I missing?

Philosophy of Music Ministry
By Rev. Joseph Stobaugh

Undoubtedly, one our primary reasons for existence as human beings is to glorify God! One of the main ways the children of God have glorified God throughout history has been through God’s good gift of music.

I believe that the purpose of music ministry should be three-fold in nature:

1. The music ministries primary calling is to help the people participate in
worship through congregational song. The music ministry is called to nurture, promote, and enliven the song of the primary choir: the congregation!

2. The music ministry should seek to create music of excellence (which can be
defined in many ways and is not restricted to one genre of music) on behalf of the congregation that serves as a window to heaven.

3. The music ministry must inherently develop disciples of Jesus Christ through
fellowship and service. Through discipleship, the Holy Spirit might be more fully awakened in the lives of the individuals participating in the music ministry as well as in the life of the congregation and the surrounding community.

I believe that participation in the music ministry should be available to all people and therefore I believe it is important to create opportunities for service and discipleship for children through senior adults.

It is also important to find places in the music ministry for individuals of all levels of ability. I seek to find entry points into the music ministry for all people, from singing solos to accompanying hymns to working in the music library.

No comments: