Sunday, February 10, 2008

Maybe the Worst Song Ever?

I'm driving up to church this morning (and, since I currently live in Dallas and am commuting to Argyle, it takes me about 40-60 minutes each way) and I'm surfing the SIRIUS. As I'm flipping through the channels on comes Paula Abdul's soul-crushing 1992 hit, "Vibeology." When I saw her name come up I thought I should go ahead and check out the song in its fullness, just to see what exactly from her career makes her qualified to judge a singing contest.

The irony that I am on my way to church and spewing out judgement everywhere is not lost on me. But, anyway...

I don't know if I happened across the extended, bleed out your ears, life departing from my soul cut, but oh, it was bad. And by bad, I mean terrible.

Yes, of course it's dated. But even by 1992 standards (which was an admittedly low time in popular music) it was not good. Incredibly over-produced, to say the least. I am sure that this track is used as an example in recording school of the timeless maxim: just because you can, doesn't mean you should.

I don't want to be a judgmental person, in fact, I'm actually trying hard to work on that. I recognize that I have a great many logs in my own eye. But, you should never have to hear this song again. There is no redeeming value in it. Save yourselves!!!!

No comments: